Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Bike Burgh: Can Pittsburgh Support Biking as Transportation?


The Bike Share Movement – Transport with Health Benefits

 

Perhaps you’ve heard about the bike share movement.  It is already in place in Washington D.C.  Cities across the nation, big and small are getting involved with it.  From Budapest Hungary to Pittsburgh Pa. there is a push for plans to come to fruition in 2015.

 

This concept is already being tested in Pittsburgh and is being used as a form of transportation from Carnegie Mellon University to Google located in Larimer, near East Liberty, Pa.  This idea is very different from going downtown and renting a bicycle at the Golden Triangle Bike Rental and enjoying a recreational bike ride in the city.  This is because the times that you can rent a bike are limited, it is rather costly, and you have to return the bike to the same location that you rented it from. The concept of bike share is more about having bicycles available in and throughout downtown Pittsburgh at about 50 different locations.  You can use the bike in one location to get to another and drop it off at any of the bike share locations.  It is also available 24 hours a day

at a reasonable cost. Bike Sharing is viewed as an alternate form of transportation.

 

Why does this excite me?  When I was growing up I spent quite a few summers visiting my relatives just thirty minutes or less outside of the thriving city of Budapest Hungary.  My relatives had a refrigerator about the size a student would use for their college  dormitory room.  Needless to say we went to the market almost daily to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, milk, and fresh bread.

 

My relatives did not have a car as they lived in an area where a bus or a train could be caught within walking distance.  So, we would hop on our bikes and hit the dusty roads and sidewalks.  We would bike a mile or two on a daily basis.  It was an enjoyable form of transportation.

 

For me, an avid bicyclist, this was fun and it was a great way to greet the day.  I loved waking up and getting the morning bike ride in and perusing through the market for our food supplies.  While we were out and about I would see people of all ages on their bicycles.  It was not uncommon to see an 85 year old woman with her babushka around her head going shopping.  They looked healthy, hardy, and very happy.

 

How does this translate to my view of Pittsburgh?  First of all, I do not go to Pittsburgh much due to the exorbitant parking fees.  Second, if I would go, I would want a bike to get from one part of town to the other, occasionally getting off to walk, shop, or view some of that grand old architecture from both the inside and outside of the buildings.

 

I have found alternate ways to beat the high prices of parking.  I often park in the Strip District for much less money or the Waterfront in Homestead for free and bike to town.  But, I am very attached to my bike and do not want to leave it out of my sight if I should want to walk around town.  I do not want to pay the high prices for bike rental downtown, so I have to choose whether I would park downtown and walk to events or take my bike, but miss out on walking around and into buildings.  Now, soon, this will not be a problem for me.

 

For the many people who work downtown and need to get to the other end of town for a meeting or may want to visit Point State Park during lunch, or even beat the grind of daily traffic jams, they will be able to do this without getting into a car.

 

These bikes will be available on a twenty four hour basis and you can access this privilege by using your I-phone or by visiting a kiosk and using your credit or debit card.  The price will be similar to hopping on a bus and paying a dollar or two, or three.  This will make it very affordable.  Please visit the Pittsburgh Bike Share Website under the “Frequently Asked Questions” section for more information.  http://www.pghbikeshare.org

 

Right now there are discussions with PENDOT and some bureaucratic hurdles to jump, but I for one am very pleased about this alternate mode of transportation for work or pleasure.  I might just have to take a trip to visit my relatives in Hungary and see how their bike share program is doing or better yet, I could invite them to visit our wonderful city of Pittsburgh, which is becoming more like a European city then ever!



I would like to hear your thoughts on whether you are for it or against it and why?




No comments:

Post a Comment